Mistress of the Waters - Janeen O'Kerry Is it a bad thing when you finish a book for the sole purpose of ranting? And the rating is more like a 1.5

Ok, the author finds ancient Ireland fascinating, so much that she apparently is clueless about the modern world. Our heroine grew up with a mansion and a yacht (no - don't think she was Elmer J. Fudd's daughter buuut). Father, through a series of bad business moves/investments and a lawsuit, lost it all, so now they live in a hovel. Well, hovel being relatively speaking since we aren't really treated to *any* info about her home other than it's "small". How small exactly though. No - bear with me; this is relevant. Our h's father is retired, mom doesn't work. Heroine is in college and apparently doesn't work either *and* is planning to move to Ireland, get a job teaching, etc. On what exactly!? They're supposed to be broke now. Yeah. Guess what one interprets all this to mean is they live in a hovel less than 50,000 square feet, and in the middle of Ohio. And on this note...

So the h has become introverted and studious - (a nerd?) and... the mostest friendliest and nicest college kids in the world feel sorry for her because she has been reduced to using a plain ol' stainless steel spoon instead of the silver one she grew up using. Yeah. Because college students are so much more mature than high school students. So they invite her to do the Ren Faire thing and she immerses herself into research for Beltane.

Eventually she goes back in time to escape the horror of being reduced to middle class American and meets... the "H" - and I *really* use that term loosely. Our H fancies himself a bard but doesn't want to go to bard school. He doesn't really want to do *anything*, to be honest, beyond sitting on the bank, snoozing and having the village floozies hang all over him. Oh, and because he's refused to do anything his father *or* the king has asked, has been ordered to marry a pregnant exchange woman (uh... she's a peace offering of sorts and she's pregnant with her deceased first husband's baby). So... our h appears, it's Beltane, and the "H" essentially handfasts to her - without telling her he's already married. Yeah; setup on this one makes you want to throw the book through a window or something.

Heroine doesn't find out about permanent wife (love THAT term) until fall when they go back to the village. You see, Useless has been banished to herding cows for the summer. She then spends the winter with him (why, I dunno other than I guess she really didn't feel she had many options). Spring comes, and she finds out about floozies. Beltane comes, so she goes home, only he decides to come with her cuz he loves her. Riiight.

The best part of the book I think was the snippets of conversation at the end - after they've come to the 20th century. At least he no longer has his overlong fingernails by that point. Euuuch.