Mate Set  - Laurann Dohner

Well... for once one of the author's Hs wasn't thrilled to find his mate. There's some sort of irony that in the worlds she's created where they don't actually mate, they grab random *human* females by their hair and drag them off for a lifetime of being a living blow up doll. This one, where mating happens, the guy resists it.

I hate it when that happens. If you're going to have matings, don't have the prospective mates acting like jackasses about it.

So here we have Dumb and Dumber - I'll leave that up to others to decide which is which but... the h knows her uncle is a werewolf, knows this little town is a shifter town, and doesn't really bother to check with him before arriving. Upon arrival, she's told by him DO NOT GO OUT AFTER DARK. What does our genius do? Yup. Never been an issue before so why now? I mean; he told it her everyone was in mating heat, so it wasn't like she wasn't warned. Nearly got herself gang-raped in the first chapter. Later, after the H is stuck guarding her (her uncle should have packed her arse back on the plane, but then again, if she was smart, she would have cut the trip short herself), she flirts, dresses provocatively, etc., because she wants to bang the hot werewolf (who is also dealing with mating heat but...). At no point does she ask if he's involved with anyone. Several days later, cabin fever (stupidity actually) sets in and she gets him to take her to the bar he runs where...she runs into an employee he's nailed in the past (talk about pissing in your own sandbox), then an alpha from another pack who pretty much backs the H into a corner as far as claiming her is concerned. At this point, it's a foregone conclusion he's going to be nailing her every chance he can get. Then after all this, she gets pissed off and upset to find out he'd actually planned to spend time with a female he was considering claiming. Uh... Should have asked beFORE you all but humped his leg dummy.

That's her.

He...never bothered to tell her he was seeing someone else, something he should have informed her of when she was in entice mode (of course, seeing as how he also had no qualms about banging an employee...). He also had made it no secret to any of his acquaintances that he had no intention of ever mating with a human. They all wasted no time in telling her of this. He'd act all pissed that he'd almost lost control and claimed her. Wanted to bring in another male for a 3-some (to diffuse the urge to claim her for real)...and wondered why she was pissed off. Then he did bite her and threw a freaking tantrum, which is irritating in a 2 year old but with a 200 lb werewolf?! He gutted her bedroom...then ran like a rat. She was ready to leave town then, which was when enlightenment finally hit him and he enlisted his family's help. Still...

Oddly enough I do believe in the HEA but DAMN that was painful.