Sandra And The Scoundrel - Jacqueline Diamond

It was actually pretty good - if you ignored that the H is actually the h's stepson. That's a little hard to ignore, particularly since you were constantly being reminded of it - or that the kids were variously her stepkids or her grandkids (H convinced her to marry him on a temporary basis). I mean; I guess it's good that the elephant in the room is noticed, but it seems more like a passing joke than a topic for a real discussion.

Of course, the book was about half serious so I guess it goes with the territory. Still...

The main plot of the book is that the h, widowed 7 years prior when the H's dad keeled over abruptly, entrusted - without actually reading anything, mind you - her finances and well, everything, to a lawyer who dreamed of hitting it big in hollywood, and a PA who hid everything from her. The end result - he embezzled every last cent, and because dummy didn't read anything she signed, thus granted him power of attorney, mortgaged the houses. End result, she discovers via reporter that she's broke and her house is in foreclosure. She calls the PA (who knew what was going on, and ran), who pretends to be gone... In the meantime, the H is kidnapping her...

The next several weeks involve them living in the same apartment, trying to figure out where the lawyer has vanished, and her running into his decidedly immature "Imma do this my way even if it kills someone" attitude when she tries to help. So she finds a lead and rather than tell him (because he's being a jackass again), takes off after the guy. Kids have neighbor call him to tell him, so he shows up in time to play hero after a fashion.

There is a HEA - the money is for the most part, long gone, but she knows someone in film so gets the film in the pipeline, and well, he unbends enough to accept aid.