Private Eye: A Tiger's Eye Mystery (Tiger's Eye Mysteries) (Volume 2) - Alyssa Satin Capucilli

The pb copy I have also includes the short story that marks the beginning of the series.

So our h's grandma she never knew about shows up. Now, to be honest, I have to wonder exactly where did she think her parents came from. I suppose her aunt and uncle just gave vague answers to the question. All that aside, she discovers she's part banshee and that her grandfather was an abusive jerk. Oh, and that banshees are being killed off. Hmmm.

Of course, naturally it's a local who she'd thought of as a nice fellow but who does hate banshees. He has other issues too as we come to discover. He tries v. hard to kill the h.

The novella was interesting. Jack is at this point, heading to Dead End. He's also without direction now that the fights over the past 10 years have come to a conclusion. At least he's back though - one of the last times he was seen in the Atlantean series, he'd lost his human side. He stops to eat, notices a pretty girl, and gets sucked into drama of figuring out who shot and kidnapped Santa. His take on the whole adventure? Avoid women wearing shoes with red soles...and possibly eat at Wendy's instead of diners the rest of the way.