Stress & the City - Stephanie Rowe

Well...I didn't HATE it...

Not really a romance although there is a HEA. Also, in spite of the whole "falling in love, one laugh at a time" bit promised by the book line, not really funny.

The h, stress therapist whatever that is, discovers her fiance is cheating on her just before the wedding so bails and goes on her honeymoon alone. The book starts at the New Years eve party her friend has insisted she attend days after getting back (yep; one of those interfering best friends. Ever notice they're all commitmentphobes? Yet they have all sorts of relationship advice...). Friend drags her to meet two hot guys (one is the H), then abandons her with one. While she's attempting to have an awkward conversation, douchebag ex shows up, wanting her back, so she lays one on the poor guy who gallantly plays along, or is that takes over. Not sure. Great. Wonderful.

She finds out a few days later that he's her new client. The next 2 months are seemingly filled with her harassing him into...unpacking (he's lived in the house for 6 months, everything is still in boxes), thinking about what he'd originally wanted to do with his life (we never actually find out what he DOES do though)...and reminding herself that...he's engaged. All the while, the friend is offering advice.

The H...is engaged. I'd guess he's afflicted with white knight syndrome. His best friend's parents died 2 years previous so he told her he'd marry her to protect her. She was in college - I'm not entirely sure how old either of them are as we aren't told, but I'd guess late 20s and her parents supported her. In any case, he shied away from thinking about how their friendship would be affected by any of this, or the possibility of having a physical relationship with her. He was going to remain faithful (apparently it crossed no-one's mind that maybe she wouldn't if stuck in such a situation).

So...the friend comes in, and has the talk with him, since he was obviously too dense to take her hints.

At the same time, the best friend drags her out on a double date and well, double date assumed she was like her friend apparently. He takes her home, she shuts the door in his face, and smells oregano. Oh noes - an intruder. Our H had broken in and was making a pizza for her. Guess it's a good thing she wasn't armed.

The epilogue starts minutes before she goes into labor with twins. And there are hints that his brother and her best friend are trying hard to ignore each other by sniping.