Royally Bedded, Regally Wedded - Julia James

The biggest issue I had with this one was probably the kid. I know that small children tend to think of themselves as the center of the universe but good Lord. I can only guess that the h doted on him to the point that he never knew the least disappointment, in spite of the abject poverty they lived in (which was another thing - what did she DO for a living? There was no mention of a J.O.B. at any point). This of course lead to him being a sullen brat near the end of the book when they were shipped unceremoniously back to their shack in Cornwall. And her pleading with him to cooperate or have fun or something.

Beyond that, there is the inequality - this isn't the first of these HPs I've run into where the author felt the need to drill into our heads that the h was impoverished. The method of administering this though is downright insulting - frequently referring to the h's clothing as cheap, as if there's something wrong with wearing non-designer duds. And the looks dept. - as if no-one is capable of actually looking at the face in question and seeing the bone structure, including the h who apparently doesn't know what conditioner is for, and has never made even an attempt to look attractive.

The H, refreshingly, isn't a jackass. He's overbearing, but then, he is a prince and used to getting his way. He gets tricked into bringing her to his home country where she is promptly separated from the child. He loses it and decks his brother, grabs her and the kid, finds a priest, and marries her to keep them safe.

One makeover later and he sees her as she really is (well, minus the overly dried out frizzy hair that deep conditioning and probably a brazillian blow out rendered manageable). She doesn't recognize herself in a mirror (back to that never actually looking at oneself thing I guess). Of course, dear old dad places H under house arrest trying to force him to declare the marriage null. He apparently refused and told them where to stick his title.

Tracks down h and sullen brat on a beach in England whereupon the kid magically stops sulking and starts trying to make a castle and demand attention while he and the h are attempting to discuss things. Augh. They work it out but boy I hope the kid figures out how to share attention as the h is pg in the epilogue.