Heating Up The Holidays (Harlequin Blaze, #435) - Jamie Sobrato, Jacquie D'Alessandro

Every now and then, you run into a multi-author series, with mixed results. They run the gamut from..."they must have wrote these while on a holiday together", through "guess they shared a few notes via email", to "well...I *think* they're all set in the same community...maybe?"

I pondered if an editor pulled a handful of authors' names out of a hat, gave them the basic theme, and didn't bother to put them in touch with each other. Supposedly they're all centered around a florist shop located not too terribly far from a fire and rescue station. I say supposedly because all three heroes purchase an envelope from said florist shop as a charitable donation. One of the heroines was the owner of the shop. You'd think all these people would be tripping over each other. Neither the owner, nor her employee were mentioned by name in the other two stories, and I thought initially there was a vague set-up for the third one at the end of the second one but the timing was off.

Enough of that. The novellas themselves...

The first one brings to mind the thought of not shitting in your sandbox. The heroine apparently not only shit, she did it in more than one spot. Even better, if a H did what she did - use someone else for sex, then friendzone them afterwards like nothing happened, at least until she needed that itch scratched again - we'd be roasting him over a hot flame. The H got tired of it, decided he didn't really want to be an EMT any longer (it was a way of earning his keep while his brother was off in the military), and quit. She freaked out because she hadn't expected him to NOT be there whenever she was ready.

Second one, H spots h and falls for her instantly. She displayed polite indifference because he was a fire fighter. He asks her out frequently for months before she finally gives in. Then, after she almost forgot about a big floral order, she tells him she has no time in her life for him. Later, she gets word that a couple of firefighters were injured, freaks out and hunts him down.

Third one seems to initially be about one of the injured firefighters but the timing was off - that happened on Christmas Eve and this was at least a week prior. The h was one of those girls stuck in a mental time warp over the H due to her jumping his bones and him being too chicken to acknowledge that he'd boinked the weird girl. Seriously, how do authors expect me to take their heroines seriously when they pull this crap? Revenge sex over something that happened when you were 16? Get over it girl! In any case, she succeeds - not that he put up a fight since he had the hots for her (had them for her as a teen too but there's that peer pressure thing), then figures out that revenge isn't as sweet as you think it'll be.