How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days - Kerrelyn Sparks

A pleasant surprise. I don't know what I expected but fantasy wasn't exactly it. And, an interesting fantasy. I liked that the world building occurred in the setting of the stage, and that new character introductions were kept to a minimum after a certain point - some authors scatter both throughout the story, causing disruption of the storyline.

Characters: the h, hidden twin, is pressed into service to fill in for her recently deceased sister. She sees dead people. Occasionally she sees the future...like once. Mostly she sees dead people. And converses with them, which makes everyone wonder about her. She doesn't even make an attempt to hide this, which is kinda dumb given that her country has laws about "gifts". Some of her oddities - and the other special snowflakes she grew up with - lead the H to figure out that something was off, and suspect what it was.

H, also gifted but in a way that makes him exceedingly dangerous and hard to kill, is nephew to the king. He's at some point, relieved he can actually touch her and well, that in and of itself means he's going to be exceedingly protective.

Various others - Brody, gifted shifter. Not sure whether he's just a shifter or another chameleon. He's not saying.
Nevis, friend. Not sure that he has any gifts
Nevis' dad. Practically raised H
Heroine's dad. hid h away because twins are outlawed too.
An assortment of ghosts including the h's twin, their mother, a kid... they acted to some extent as spies for the h

Villain - officially the H's uncle who coveted the h's family land and wanted an excuse to steal it *and* possibly get rid of the H in the process. Unofficially, turned out to be a non-issue as he, and his mostly harmless son, were done in by a chameleon who, though zapped by the H a couple of times, still got away.

Nits - that chameleon appearing out of nowhere, conveniently making the H king.
The H's choice of explicatives - holy shit - seemed incongruous in the context of the story. His first encounter with the h, he said several times "I like that". Made me think of Angel in Maverick. Found it distracting.