Have Mercy (Harlequin Blaze #398) -

Cover commentary - H is in 30s, h in late 20s. Cover appears to be a high school cheerleader and some kid who's having difficulty growing proper facial hair.

It had its moments but...

There was the whole inconsistency of the h's characterization - she's written as socially awkward in the beginning. Not shy, not suspicious; socially awkward. And yet, later she's acting perfectly normal.

The H is a reformed grifter who lies through his teeth to the h while getting into her pants.

His grandmother is out for revenge as some distant cousins who'd sent her late husband to prison are in the process of pulling a con.

It is a comedy of errors featuring the improbability of a heroine living in the closet of a crack house, having time to keep her hedge trimmed, and bouncing between being unable to talk to people and acting the consummate professional, a gypsy who broke character and abandoned his family, and of course, an old bat who resents the hell out of him going legit and while she doesn't want him to rot in prison, almost scorns his desire to avoid legal issues.

I found some of it funny, the language a bit crude for a harlequin, and well... I mostly finished it because I didn't really want to just DNF it but at the same time, I didn't want to linger - there are better books out there.