Research is your friend

or...why I decided NOT to read the sequels to the last book I read.

I had all the trilogy.  The first one was a struggle (should have cut my losses, to be honest), but I persevered.  I flipped through the second and third installments.  The third one was actually why I decided to call it quits lest I lose my mind.

The setting is bumblefart nowhereville Colorado - a veritable mecca of horse breeding (said sarcastically).  The H/h were at a party (they weren't an item at this point), and the conversation drifts to the h's parents' new foal, whereupon the h's ex gets in a number of digs with regards the foal's parentage.

So the ex has a stallion named Destiny (I knew a horse named Destiny - SHE was a QH), who is the "winningest horse in history" and "the winner of the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, and the Belmont."

The h had apparently ridden her horse over to his ranch (I assumed she was a QH), and put her in a stall near said stallion.  The mare just happened to be in heat, and the stallion was all too willing to oblige.  She claims not to have known the mare was in heat, or that the stallion was there.

Of course, the mare was a TB, so the foal is purebred.

See, here's the thing.  Colorado is about as far from where all the quality TB mares are as you can get - they're in KY, NY, CA, FL...you get the picture - states known for racing.  So why would the "winningest horse in history" be there?  And well, the media blitz that follows a Triple Crown Winner (what that winning history spells out using small words like we're stupid, but fails to consider that we're probably wrinkling our noses and wondering if the author is clueless) - horse doesn't travel incognito.

Besides which, wealthy horse breeders have things called stallion barns, and syndicates whereupon they sell shares of said horse for breeding purposes.  So the various co-owners would make it impractical to keep said horse in bumblefart nowhere.  And those barns are secure.  No chick is going to ride up on her cycling mare and stick it in a handy stall anywhere on the place - too much risk of disease.  And well, she had to know the mare was cycling.

Of course the foal is destined to be a champion - just like the other 40,000 born on a given year, half of which will never set hoof on a track, and of the remaining 20k, many will leave the track via adoption/sales (trying to ignore the ones that leave via a tractor).

Yep; do your homework, lest I decide you're an idjit.